Thursday, April 15, 2004

ANTON P. CHEKHOV

Chekhov. I’ve just learned to appreciate this writer for what he is. Even though Uncle Vanya is the first work of his that I have read, it had opened a new perspective and had sparked a new interest in gaining more knowledge about styles in writing and play righting.

Chekhov being a naturalistic and his works immersed in Russian provincial life in the late 19th century (Fortier, 2003) has inspired many others to adapt his writing for stage or translated into other languages and being studied upon by academicians’ world wide.

After reading his biography by Pritchett, I began to understand a wee bit more about Chekhov. His writings are mostly inspired by Tolstoy, etc (fill this up darling!) and most of it is derived from his travels and past experiences. Theatrically, he brought real life on and to the stage. From my point of view, he had given inspiration for other writers to talk about real life, rather than fantasy to be staged to an audience.

I admit it that I need to read more on Chekhov to really understand his styles and intentions whilst writing a story.

I too wonder, his passion for writing was so great, that he could schedule his days to write different things at different times. I wonder how he does it. How did he focus on different issues, stories and ideas at different times and come up with wonderful work like Uncle Vanya.

Uncle Vanya for me is a real drama. It portrays real people in probably real situations. Even though some of the scenes are sort of like animated and dramatic, for example the scene where Vanya fired two shots to Serebryakov and missed, could it happen in real life? I guess it depends on the situation and the state of mind one is in.

Its drama in a drama.

I spent the whole day today, reading his biography, trying to understand Chekhov. I went to the cloth shop, bought chicken, went to Lidl for a wee bit of grocery. I was reading about Chekhov at almost anywhere I could lay my eyes on the book, even while waiting for the bus! I wonder why I suddenly became really interested to know more about Chekhov, anyway I thank Allah SWT for this sudden change.

Started the day being melancholic and all, and suddenly, intrigued by a dead writer! LOL. Time is also running out on me. I am really concerned about this present project I am on. But it sure is a turning point, I am more aware of what I have been lacking and I am trying to catch up with it. And somehow today, Chekhov had inspired me to write as well, or more likely gave me a spark to do something that I’ve never done before. WRITE A PLAY. I had noted the ideas down and would attend to it when I am free. I had never written a play before, I guess there is a first time for everything. (Please read my previous posting). But I guess, I still owe to Allah SWT for this sudden surge of self motivation.

Cheryl and Taufik is in London tonight, they are still on Easter Break and as I am typing this, I am listening to Kris Dayanti – Ku Tak Sanggup, with orchestral arrangement (Konser KD). Her delivery of the song is so energetic and full of emotion. Gosh. I think I’d better stop melayan perasaan.

I would be expecting Helmy tomorrow night, and Ezwan on Friday morning.

Tour le Edinburgh anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home