Thursday, March 13, 2003

Journal1203

Hi, It has been sometime since I last wrote in. Time quite taken I guess, busy as a bee (huh?).

Well, this is somewhat a summary of what I had been doing since Monday. My uncertainty about things here is really taking toll. Still had not sent out letter to BLPS regarding extension, all because of the letter from my supervisor. Gosh…I’m quite tensed up.

The most significant thing that has happened so far is getting hold of Zizi Zulkifli. This is regarding my placement at Istana Budaya; I offered my services to design the costumes for her. She was quite affirmative about it…. and she told me to email Dr Hatta. Well, as soon as I got to my room, I started out to draft the letter and sent it to Kenchana in the states. I even e-mailed En Najib regarding the opportunity and he replied to me saying that I should go for it.

I am also going to write a short paper (mini thesis? Can you say that…but its like a form of research paper); its going to be called A Comparative Study of Costume Design Process In Scotland (Edinburgh) and Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur). Why do I pick Kuala Lumpur as my comparative subject? It is to see how far the costume designers are to work overseas or even make it international. A designer differs to a costume maker. Well, I’m creating this issue of the possibility of Malaysians to go overseas and design shows using the standard methods or processes. I think we do lack a lot of the design process, I’m not saying that the designers can’t design, that is not the issue, but how they have to comply with certain disciplines in the design process. Well, I guess the background of each designer in Malaysia is different and the people who went for formal training in Costume Design can be counted with one’s own fingers. I would probably find out how many there is when I do the research then.

Well, I’m trying to piece the proposal for that paper, doing some reading and net searches on the topic. I guess, like what Cik Najib said, it’s time to prove that designers are serious about their work, is true. Its not just designing but it involves so may other factors. Actually, what triggered me to do this write up is because of what I went through my first term here when I had to design a costume. I was totally blanked out when I had to prepare a costume plot, costume list, textual analysis, character analysis and so on. Well, I WAS designing costumes but THIS IS FOR REAL! Gosh…I felt so left behind!

Come to think of it, there are lots of things for me to think about to make my writing more interesting.

Today, its one of those days, I just cant pull myself out of bed. All this worrying and waiting is killing me. Hope Kenchana would reply my mails ASAP.

I never knew how to write in a business sort of things, or formally…especially for E mail! Ken commented on it, its hard, but I really suck writing emails…proper ones because for me, I had always though the email is quite personal and never that formal. Well, I guess I have to wait for the reply. My duvet is calling me again!!!! Ha h aha!
C ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home