Sunday, March 09, 2003

Saturday 08032003

Well, after not writing anything in for the last few days, I think I owe something to be uploaded to my blog.

I stayed in the whole day today, trying to do some work. Well, did manage to. But what I want to share here is this overwhelming experience watching clips of the Coronation of Sultan Sharafuddin. Being an Anak Selangor, this event was much awaited for, but it was just not my Rezeki to witness it as I am currently in Edinburgh. I was there when Almarhum celebrated his Silver Jubilee, was there to witness his burial and now, the Coronation after 42 years.

Being someone who is in love with Malay arts, this sort of ceremony had always been awaited for. All the ceremonies that took place, all the significance of the adat istiadat, what people wore, all the types of setanjak worn…these elements play a big role in me trying to derive certain elements in designing costumes for performances. Even the movements of the ceremonies could be depicted in a dance.

Well, last night at about 3 a.m (yeah, I slept late last night) so I heard the ceremony via Internet on Radio Malaysia Melaka. The sound of the Nobat really made my hair jump…its something with the Nobat ensemble…the mysterious sounds, very enchanting. I just tuned in at the right time when Sultan Sharafuddin was crowned. Then the crowd cheered Daulat Tuanku ! I was just gasping for air…ha ha ha…very dramatic am I? I tried to visualize the scenario in my head, well, it didn’t work. The last ceremony was the Menjunjung Duli and Renjis Air Mawar by close of kin of the sultan. Well, they stopped the broadcast then.

When I woke up about 9 this morning, I started checking the newspapers for news etc. When I got to Star Online…Oh My! There it was…video clippings of the Coronation!!
Without hesitation, I clicked on the real player download, and manage to watch excerpts of the ceremony. I had never thought to get to see the ceremony at all! When my mom called last night, I asked her to tape it for me, but the VCR at home was broken…no luck… I was quite happy to get to see clippings. All the adornments, regalia, ceremonies. I’ve got to thank the Star for putting it up on web. For an Anak Selangor not in his home state for this Stately Event, it was enough for me. As I had said earlier on, my love for the richness of the Malay arts would never cease, no matter where I am. Some people might think its just a bore, well, at least there is somebody who just adores it.

One thing though that I would really miss is, is the Royal Concerts and celebrations. Being a part of it is a dream of mine, contributing something or maybe performing…
Tuanku is my University’s Pro Chancellor so the possibility for arranging a royal performance is always there….Ahhh…how I miss the hustle and bustle of a performance and the madness preparing for it. It is the proudest moment for me. I had performed during a luncheon for the late Sultan of Selangor, and that was a moment to remember! Well, he enjoyed the show. Hmm…I’m starting to mumble now…I’ll stop first…maybe continue later or tomorrow. Wassalam.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home