Monday, March 03, 2003

28/2/2003 – 01/03/2003

Well, I guess I have to continue my journal here. Yesterday, I left my room for the airport about 7.15. Woke up at 6 that is. Took my bath, prayed, had leftover Murtabak Maggi and quickly got ready. Bath Spa…. Somerset, that’s my destination today. Well, for the time being, Marina is paying the trip for me and I’m paying her bit-by-bit back. I just have got to see the Costume Archive and the world’s most complete Costume museum.

Got at the airport via the Air Port Bus (the no 100) at about 10 to 8, flight was at 8.40. Hmmm…no signs of Marina and Jess. About 8 05….Jess was outside the terminal building taking a smoke. I decided to call Marina, hmm no answer. Wonder if she manages to get on the bus? Hmmm…it’s running late. Finally at 8.30 Marina got to the airport…gosh pity her…we rushed to the Go counter…and guess what? The counter had CLOSED! U should have seen the look on Marina’s face! Anyway, the bitchy ground stuff told us that the counter closes at 8 10…and all this while I thought it closed 10 minutes before flight departure. Well, on the bright side, we did manage to get on the plane. And off to Bristol we went. Oh yea, the flight was DELAYED 10 minutes…hmmm. The flight was slightly bumpy but ok. We reached Bristol Airport at about 9-ish and straight away headed out to get a coach to Temple Meads Train Station. There, we got on the 11.10 train to Bath Spa. A ticket costs us 3 pounds each. Reached Bath train station at about 11.30 and from the train station we took a cab that costs 3.50 to Holiday Inn Express Bath. It was just a short ride. So, Marina had planned that we leave some stuff at the hotel and went straight to the Costume Museum. When we reached the hotel, the room was not ready yet so Marina left her stuff behind the counter. We took the cab to the museum as the weather did not really permit us to walk (15 minute walk? Hmm…he he he)
We got off at the side of the museum. We paid entrance fee of…4 something (Marina n Jess paid for me first) and got the guidebooks at 3.95 each. Went straight to get our personal audio guide. State of the art! We started the tour looking at the Assembly Rooms. This assembly rooms use to cater the locals for dances and social events. Beautiful space that is, with chandeliers and a gallery for musicians. The adjacent room is the Card Room, where the people meet and play cards. This museum used to be a place to meet and socialize for the peoples of Bath Spa. Getting bored of the explanations, we adjourned straight downstairs to look at the costume collection. Wow! The costumes are authentic! The oldest of the collection dates back to the 17th century! A real piece of antique! I could not imagine it was hand stitched! The galleries were really fascinating. The wigs, the costumes, the details…what I had learnt back in ’96 was right here in front of my eyes. How I wished Cik Kalsom were here…aiseh! Should have bought her a postcard! He he he…. Well, I mainly looked at the coiffure, as that is for Marina’s video project. I was really amazed with the collections! As I walk through, I felt as if I was going through a time tunnel! I was immersed with the audio guide, with an aching hand that is! I’d seen the real stomacher, a 20” corset, Madame Pompadour hair dos, Crinolines, bustles, shoes, socks, gloves and Penniers-huge ones! The other exhibition that was put on this time is the 1920’s fashion. Gosh! Women’s liberation, post war, freedom…the collection was really captivating, the WIGS! Magnificent! I really liked the dress collection, the beadwork was just too captivating and it really reminded me of Rashid’s collection. It didn’t really take us that long to go through the museum. By 1.25 we were already out of the museum, and, HUNGRY. So, we scouted for a place to eat…instead we came across antique shops and later this Deli. We just grabbed sandwiches for lunch. By 1.45 we were at no 4, The Circus. The home of the Costume Archives. To our dismay, the archive did not open till 2. So, we decided to have lunch in the rain, by the Circus. Hmm…it was ok but a bit chilly. I had salmon with egg mayo sandwich that costs 2.50. By 1.55, wet and cold, we went back to the archives and rang the bell. After leaving our stuff downstairs, we went upstairs to the research room. A table had been set for us. We were briefed on what we were supposed to do and how to handle the articles requested. Marina had requested Corsets. I guess I was quite lucky as I get to touch and see a real 18th Century Corset, with WHALE BONE! REAL WHALE BONE.
The make of the corset really made me think. How fine was the workmanship and how tedious it was to produce a corset of that kind and what sort of women wore that corset. By the way, that corset is the only one remaining in the world.

After scrutinizing the corsets (there were 5, 18th century (2) and 19th century (1) and 20th century (1)), taking photographs and video of it, Jess and Marina spread out the stuff that they found in the wardrobe storage area. With the help of the lady who is in charge (forgot her name), she helped Marina and Jess to find out further information on the dresses. Interesting because the gray dress was an authentic piece! And probably the others were fancy dresses made for stage or parties.
We then adjourned to the book section after that. Gosh! All the costume and fashion books that you could ever think of! I went for the books on hair and make up, even found a book on Asian Designers, well, it portrayed Rizalman and Bill Keith. I also manage to get a copy from journal on Asian pants, interesting, because it showed some similarities with Malay pants. Well, what I can say is, it’s the most basic shape of trousers for many Asian cultures. Wished we had more time then…by 4 we packed up everything and went back to the Costume Museum shop because Marina wanted to get more books on costumes.
By 5 pm we were in room 18 of the Holiday Inn Express. Tired. Hungry. Jess and me decided to take a walk to Sainsbury’s…, which was just across the road from the hotel. It just came to be a Sainsbury Petrol Kiosk! Hmmm…bought some biscuits and drinks. We also just took a walk around that area, looking for a take away or something. Eventually, we came across a Chinese-fish and chips take away just 3 minutes from the hotel. We went back to the room because the take away was not opened yet. So, I just watched TV while Marina and Jess discussed about their research paper. Went out again about 1930 to buy dinner. I had Egg Fried Rice with fired Taugeh. That was just nice, for just 4 pounds. Very filling. Watched TV till about 11…and chatted and I guessed I just dozed off…
Oh yeah, Mak called at about 2220, didn’t tell her I was in Bath because did not want to offend her (yeah…shared a room with 2 women) anyway, its TABOO ha ha ha…Well, they are my friends anyway, and I really am glad to know them, we all have the same interest and we’re course mates anyway. Well, she asked me whether I would be coming back in September. I don’t know. I’m still confused about my status and my MFA…The connection was bad, so had to hang up. Earlier, Shabaz called. Quite surprised to receive his call! I told him, Insyaalah, I’ll visit them some time after this term, and after I got some extra cash to spare. Anyway, I want to visit Norman and Ezwan.

01/03/2003
Woke up at 8. Spend morning watching TV and had continental breakfast…really enjoyed it. Jess called for a cab at 11 and off we went to Bristol Airport. In 40 minutes we got there. Checked in, and guess what? I LEFT MY KEYS AT THE HOTEL! Sheesh! So careless of me! Ish ish ish!!! Well, too late now. Guess that I have to get into my room with the help from security.
Boarded the flight at 1 and took off to Edinburgh. By 2.15 we reached Edinburgh Airport and took the 100 back. Well, I got off at St Johns road. Hoping to find a take away (yeah sure!) but nothing. So, took the 26, got off and went straight to security. Thank god there was someone there! So, I explained what happened and the security guy opened the door for me. Well, had late lunch of cold Turkey Luncheon Meat aith onion sandwich…too tired to do anything else.
The server was crap today, can’t access even my own Blog. Means I have to ask Zandy to check out my lap top tomorrow morning. Well, got so tired, I think I slept about Maghrib….and woke up about 8. Had instant Rice and curry. Well, that’s about it. Started writing this and about to start with the Exorcist after this.

Wassalam


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home