Sunday, January 04, 2004

SHOPPING SATURDAY (updated early Sunday morning)

It،¦s the first Saturday in the New Year, and I decided to go shopping with my flat mate. At first it was just supposed to be window shopping because there were other things that I intended to buy, but it turned out o be a 'mini' shopping spree for me.

We went to Princess Street, right in the heart of Edinburgh City Centre. We just walked from our flat; it،¦s roughly about 10 minutes to get down to PS (PS????). The first stop was Top Man and Top Girl, the sale had died down and the discounted stuff is pushed to one wee corner of each department. We separated and started going thru the racks of discounted clothes (Why does ladies wear always have the best bargains? I saw a size 12 corset top, made of lace of diamante for GBP3!!! Ridiculous ain،¦t it? )
There was not much left at Top Man, but I was really attracted to this blue denim single breasted jacket. It was GBP80 before discount, and on Boxing Day it was brought down to GBP40, and now its only GBP30!!! I had to have it, and so I bought it. At the back of my mind, I was feeling a bit guilty splashing money on the jacket (I paid GBP27, with a student card) because I knew I needed a new printer. Well, that was not the end of it. As for my flat mate, she just purchased a shirt for GBP3! We both went up to Burtons next (and she to Dorothy Perkins). I browsed the shirt racks, and ended up getting a sheer black voile with metallic pin stripe shirt at GBP13.50. Nothing much left actually, but most of the shirts I wanted were not on sale, I guess I have to wait till July for the summer sale. My flat mate ended up buying a pair of shoes and jeans for GBP27.

And we walked again, window shopping at Monsoon, nice and pricey stuff they have there. We then crossed the street to Jenners, I wanted to look at the pots and pans, but cant find the department in this oldest and tangled department store. By this time I was quite tired, I get tired easily lately. After Jenners, we walked up to BHS, nothing much there. Up next was NEXT, as I entered the Men،¦s department and went to the sale section, I was quite surprised to see last years stuff there as well. Thank god nothing caught my attention, and so I went down to the ladies department and looked for my flat mate. I then, made my way to the T-Mobile shop to upgrade my Nokia 8310 to a Motorola V300, for Free!!!! Hooray! ƒ؛ All smiles for me!

It was then 1 pm already, and our tummies need to be filled up. My flat mate has required the taste of Harry Ramsden،¦s Fish n Chips, and so we retraced our steps and went to Princess Mall. As we walked in, a guy came out with a Large McD cup،Kand I could guess he was having a milkshake،Khmmm،K. As my flat mate queued up to buy her portion of fish and chips, I went to McD and got myself a large milkshake. Bliss! We also noticed 2 Malaysian families sitting down at the eating area. I tak tegur pun, just can،¦t be bothered. We then walked back to our flat and stopped by the Pakistani owned Sweet Palace to see what they had. I got myself chicken curry on pilau rice. Nice stuff they have at this shop, which is just below my flat. They even sell 'pan' or sirih in Malay.


I find that shopping in the UK, especially for clothes is an experience that I would not forget. The range of styles, textures and colors just do not match of those in Malaysia. The prices? Well, here, it،¦s really worth to buy stuff during sale periods and I am just so glad H n M men،¦s department is not in Edinburgh!

=========================================
And last night, I worked again at the Edinburgh Playhouse. The usual shift of selling programmes, checking the gents, auditorium duties and selling programmes again and checking the gents again. That was my 1st Saturday in 2004. More to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home