Saturday, January 03, 2004

BREAD CRISIS

Well, it’s the second day of 2004, and the issue is buying bread. Its just another lazy Friday, and most of the shops are still closed, I guess in this part of the world, the only time the shops would be closed is during Christmas and New Year…,

I was craving for bread today, so as Tesco’s opens its doors today, I blatantly walked in, with a blue basket in hand…..and headed to the bread section. Aiyoh!!! IT WAS CLEAR! With only particles of breadcrumbs left! I assume everybody had bought the bread prior to the 1st of January. Aiyaaaa….leceh la like this! I badly wanted to do something with the bread. To my surprise, all the naans and chappatis were also cleared! I ended up buying other stuff but I still had to buy bread!

I went to the Pakistani shop under my flat, hoping that they still have some bread to spare, well I was devastated again, there was none left! So, I crossed the street to Alldays…UGH! The shelves was empty as well! Ho-Humm! And I crossed the street again to Farm Foods…at least they still had plenty of bread on the shelf… As I scrutinize the ingredients, alamak…stabilizer E472!!!! Alamak…there is also no indication that it is suitable for vegetarians. Kensel!! Sheesh…never knew it was so hard sourcing for bread during the new year period! I walked up Nicolson Street and found that Scotmid is still closed. Hmmm…Sabar aje lah!

I retraced my route to Bismillah, where the shop owner ( a Pakistani) addresses me (and also other Malay guys) as Shah Rukh Khan and Lelaki Kacak (alamak….sehsuai ke ????) I looked at the middle shelf in the small shop! There is the ROTI !!! and only 3 loafs left!

I left Bismillah with a big smile…as I carried my loaf of bread in plastic bag, heading back to my flat in the freezing weather. What a crisis!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home